7/23/2011

Beginnings

Why not begin this blog with the beginning of Spiral Finch?

Back in 2008, sitting amongst the piles of bead boxes and Tupperware full of beading and jewelry making supplies that I acquired from my super artsy mother-in-law, I flipped though a jewelry design magazine. Seeing a project that involved wire, a bench block, wire cutters and a hammer, I said "eureka! (ok, I didn't really say that, who actually says eureka?), I have all of those items!" I started out with very simple loops and spirals bent out of wire and hammered. I started out being self taught, just tinkering around with my stash of glorious supplies. I started my etsy shop in August 2008.





I did my first craft show in 2010. It was at La Encantada, a high scale shopping center in Tucson. This show gave me the courage and confirmation that this was something that I wanted to pursue. I had a wonderful response!


A lot of time went on with me making these original designs before I decided that I needed more knowledge. I enrolled in a beginning metal smithing class at Parks and Rec. This class soon became the highlight of my week.

I learned to work with sheet metal, saws, a blow torch(!!), silver solder, bezels, disk cutters, rolling mills, tubes, gemstones, and cabochons. At this point I couldn't get enough of this craft. My design aesthetic was evolving with my new knowledge and I couldn't have been happier. I took the class and Parks and Rec twice so I could get more lab time and polish the skills I was learning.



A local shop (The Wooden Tooth) which was located on 4th Avenue (an artsy strip of town), started carrying some of my work. It was super exciting! It gave me the exposure that my online shop wasn't getting.

I now have items in four shops (three in Tucson, AZ and one in Bisbee, AZ). Bohemia, Church of Satin, Black Rose Tattooers (the 6th Ave. location) and Bliss Bee!

Click on my shop tab to see what designs I currently have out there!

1 comment: